Why can’t I watch xinmsn Video from outside Singapore?
xinmsn Video is a Singapore-only service, and we do not have international streaming
rights for our content at the moment.
We do however have some limited programmes thats available as VOD to users outside
- Help! I AM located in Singapore, but when I try to watch a video I see the
following message on the player:
xinmsn has incorrectly detected that you are outside Singapore based on past records
derived from your computer’s Temporary Internet Files folder (or cache as it is
often referred to). Please follow the steps below:
Clearing Your Browser’s Cache
Follow these steps to delete the files and information that your Internet browser
stores on your computer. This information includes Net content on websites you have
surfed, cookies, and other temporarily saved information. Your links and favorites
will not be deleted.
For users of Internet Explorer 7 and above:
Open Internet Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking
Network and Internet, and then clicking Internet Options.
- Step 1: Click the General tab, and then, under Browsing history, click Delete. Make
sure you uncheck ‘Preserve Favourites website data’ and check ‘Temporary Internet
Files’ and ‘Cookies’ (see example below)
- Step 2: Click the Delete button to confirm that you want to delete this information.
For Firefox users:
1. Open a browser and then click on the Tools option located on the menu bar.
2. Select Clear Recent History in the drop-down menu
3. Ensure that the Everything option is selected under ‘Time range to clear’
4. Expand the Details drop-down option, and check ‘Cookies’ and Cache’ (See example
Note: Please ensure that you have closed all browsers after the steps detailed above,
and then reopen the browser and try visiting the xinmsn Video website again.
back to top
I have followed the steps above but am still unable to view xinmsn Video. What
Click on this Quova.com link: Get your IP
Please copy the IP address details and send it to the following email address:
You will see your IP details on the page.
We will get back to you as soon as possible. back to top
What can users expect to see on xinmsn Video?
A wide selection of the MediaCorp owned programmes from Ch 5, 8 and U that are currently
on air will be made available as catch up content:
- A new episode will be made available for free 24 hours after it’s been shown on
- Each episode will stay online as catch up between 7 – 30
no longer available as catch up can be found in the Library section
- Catch up
content for acquired programmes: Depending on our licensing arrangement with the
various content partners, selected acquired programmes such as Cougar Town, The
Amazing Race, Down with Love, etc. will soon be made available for catch up as
- Each catch up episode will be made available 24 hours after it has been
Each episode will stay online as catch up between 3 – 30 days
Do I need to sign-up as a member to use this Free VOD service?
No sign up will be needed for this FREE VOD service.
Can I download the Free Videos?
All videos will be available via streaming only.
What video player is required to play these Free Videos?
Users will be able to view videos using the Silverlight player. Users who do not
have Silverlight plugin installed will be able to view videos in a Flash player.
However due to licensing rights, some long-form videos will can only be viewed via
the Silverlight player, which will be readily available via xinmsn.
Will people be able to log onto Windows Live on their TV?
With xinmsn, users will be able to get the latest local and international entertainment
and lifestyle news anytime, anywhere. They will also be able to view their favourite
MediaCorp Channel 5 and Channel 8 and Channel U programmes.
Although users won’t be able to log onto Windows Live via their televisions, they
are still able to discover, share and communicate using their PCs and mobile phones.
back to top
What is the minimum system requirement required to view the Free videos?
To view video at xinmsn Video, your computer must meet the following system requirements:
- An Internet connection with sufficient bandwidth. The videos on MSN Video stream
at roughly 500 kilobits per second (kbps)
- Microsoft Windows 2000 or later, or
Mac OS X v10.4 or later
- A 1 gigahertz (GHz) processor
- Microsoft Silverlight
3 or later, or Adobe Flash Player 9 or later
- 512 megabytes (MB) of RAM
A screen resolution of 1024 × 768 or higher
- Windows Internet Explorer 6 or later,
or Firefox 3.0 or later
- A 16-bit sound
- The quality of the video is adapted to your computer and download connection speed
to give you the best playback experience possible. To provide the best video experience,
we recommend a download connection speed of 1000 kbps or higher. To test your download
connection speed, visit Speedtest.net, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
To increase the speed of your broadband connection, contact your Internet service
- Microsoft Silverlight is a Microsoft technology that works on Windows
and Macintosh operating systems and enables the delivery of the best online video
experience. For more information, including the system requirements for Microsoft
Silverlight, see the Microsoft Silverlight FAQ.
- Microsoft Silverlight isn't
supported for all combinations of browsers and operating systems. To check if your
browser and operating system support Microsoft Silverlight or to check if you already
have Microsoft Silverlight installed on your computer, go to Get Started - Install
Silverlight, and then, under Verify your system requirements, click Silverlight-compatible. back to top